Welcome to suburbia

I've finally plucked up the courage to set-up an online blog. I'm going to endeavour to blog as often as possible to share my thoughts, to share some articles and news i find interesting, and also use it for my private reflections (you guys won't get to see that!). Also i hope people will read and comment on some of my posts.

The spur for deciding to set-up a blog has been my studies through the Open University. They encourage learning and reflection, and collaborating with others.

Friday 18 March 2011

Where Will You Be in Five Years?

I thought you would find this interesting:

Where Will You Be in Five Years? - http://blogs.hbr.org/hmu/2011/03/where-will-you-be-in-five-year.html

Classic interview question that you're never quite sure how to answer. Be ambitious (sometimes referred to as being cocky) and you can come across as arrogant, be loyal and it can be seen as disingenuous.

I once had video link interview with a business in Switzerland, and when asked the question i told the truth; That in 5 years time i hoped to be running my own business. Didn't realise it at the time, but the Swiss value loyalty, and in this particular company they prided themselves on the length of service of employees. Needless to say i didn't get the job, and now i do much more research into the company and industry/country culture.

However one thing hasn't changed, sometimes to my detriment, i still tell the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment