Welcome to suburbia

I've finally plucked up the courage to set-up an online blog. I'm going to endeavour to blog as often as possible to share my thoughts, to share some articles and news i find interesting, and also use it for my private reflections (you guys won't get to see that!). Also i hope people will read and comment on some of my posts.

The spur for deciding to set-up a blog has been my studies through the Open University. They encourage learning and reflection, and collaborating with others.

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Creating my values and what they mean

So as promised here are the values that i constructed with Tom Cassidy (@tomcassidy10 on twitter) an Interpersonal Communications Consultant. We worked together on these during two sessions, and they have been updated since through feedback and reflection with my Open University Tutors.

Problem Solving and Making a Difference- These two values came as no surprise to me, and work in synch. It came into focus again when i was in conversation with some McKinsey colleagues, and they mentioned that the goal of the firm is to use their problem solving skills to make a difference to the client. I strongly believe in finding the best fit, regardless of convention or past experience, and finding solutions to problems rather than finding workarounds or sticking plasters!

Sense of Achievement- means that it isn't about what it does for me personally, but it is seeing the look on people's faces when you get them to a place they never thought they'd see. It also means that i get motivated by activity that is important, or moves initiatives forward. I left a previous company because the work I was doing was mere paper pushing, administrative work that kept the bureaucratic cogs turning.

Equity/Egalite- A sense of equality, fairness and a rejection of patronage or favouritism. This also refers to a sense of gaining rewards on merit, rather than faces fitting or social relationships.

Thinking Space- Being an introvert I value time alone to reflect and to think. I do my best thinking when out running; many a hair-brained scheme has been concocted out on the road. It is also recognition that sometimes i need to move away from the confines of the office to do some real thinking. Sitting at a desk often forces productivity, and so any chance i get to flee my desk for a white board is seized upon!

Broadening Knowledge- a thirst for learning, it is the motivation i need to get up at 5am to hit my Open Uni books, it is the investment in the HBR subscription, and is one of the reasons I'm doing this blog and trying out twitter!

Sense

No comments:

Post a Comment