Welcome to suburbia

I've finally plucked up the courage to set-up an online blog. I'm going to endeavour to blog as often as possible to share my thoughts, to share some articles and news i find interesting, and also use it for my private reflections (you guys won't get to see that!). Also i hope people will read and comment on some of my posts.

The spur for deciding to set-up a blog has been my studies through the Open University. They encourage learning and reflection, and collaborating with others.

Monday 3 September 2012

my 1st NFL fantasy draft


So aside from having to get up at 4am to participate, and also figure out controls etc. I really enjoyed my first NFL fantasy draft. Like i say, i wasn't really sure on tactics, and i saw a lot of strange movement in the early rounds. I sort of just assumed that everyone would pic their QB first, but there were people picking out their 1 allowed TE starter and some premier running backs going too.

Story of my draft:

#1 Cam Newton, QB, Car- Had a good year last year, and i my view will only get better. They've strengthened his offensive line and improved the D. But don't get me wrong, with 6th pick i was hoping Brady would still be on the table. Not surprised that Brees took so long to go, i think people are worried about no Payton on the sidelines

#2 Wes Welker, WR, NE- Obvious, Brady's pet receiver, a points monster in the last few seasons, expecting the same from him again

#3 Frank Gore, RB, SF- the 49ers don't tend to air it out, Gore is their 1st down back, and he is coming off a good season. I was hoping Turner would still be available, he breaks tackles

#4 Aaron Hernandez, TE, NE- I think NE are gonna have a good year, would've preferred Gronkowski, but that was never going to happen, I think Jimmy Graham was still available at this point aswell, but again nervous about the impact of the bounty programme.

#5 David Akers, K, SF- this was a risk, picking him early. But more often than not the 49ers don't convert in the red zone, and Akers won them a couple of games last year on points alone. the alternative was picking Dan Carpenter (Mia) but i can't guarantee the Fins will be getting out of their own half this year!

#6 Demaryius Thomas, WR, Den- Peyton has gotta throw to someone, i just hope it is this guy

#7 Houston defence- Moved from ranked 31 to top 5 in the league last year. All of the parts are still in place. Alternative was to pick Baltimore, but they've got big names that are getting old and banged up 

#8 Randall Cobb, WR, GB- Rogers spreads his passes around, as 3rd receiver on my draft, i figured he would generate regular points, rather than a big name that could be shut out of a game.

#9 Jonathan Stewart, RB, Car- Badly wanted Redman, as Pit are a run first offence (not sure Haley is going to change that), plus i though Mendenhall was still out with an injury. What i got as my 2nd RB was Stewart.

Bench
#10 Michael Crabtree, WR, SF- so i obviously think the 49ers are going to have a good year. I'm not sold on Thomas and so having Crabtree is a good back-up option
#11 Heath Miller, TE, Pit- Finally showed some love to the city i spent 5 months in. If Hernandez isn't get the receptions then i'll swap Heath in
#12 Nate Burleson, WR, Det- Figured that Stafford had to throw to someone other than Johnson, and maybe some D's have figured out how to play Detroit
#13 LaGarratte Blount, RB, TB- i agonized over whether to make him my 2nd RB, sadly i remembered that TB have drafted a franchise RB, and so Blount might not get a lot of rushes.
#14 Matt Flynn, QB, Sea- I don't think i'll need to bench Cam, but Flynn should be a confirmed a starter by the time Cam has his bye week
#15 Jerome Simpson, WR, Min- have no idea who this kid is, might Wikipedia him later. Simply the highest ranking WR in the final round.

First game is this weekend, looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment