Welcome to suburbia

I've finally plucked up the courage to set-up an online blog. I'm going to endeavour to blog as often as possible to share my thoughts, to share some articles and news i find interesting, and also use it for my private reflections (you guys won't get to see that!). Also i hope people will read and comment on some of my posts.

The spur for deciding to set-up a blog has been my studies through the Open University. They encourage learning and reflection, and collaborating with others.

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Taxi drvier

Hello all,

(Best Geordie accent) Its day 8 in the Bur Dubai
house, and the ex-pats a re getting a little annoyed
with the crazy taxi drivers and their De Nero like
tendancies

Yeah thats right all of them are bonkers, not one is
sane. I got in a taxi to work yesterday and was
acosted by a pakistani national that was disappointed
with the interest that he was being charged on his
loan with Emirates Bank, and wanted me to sort it out,
all because i was getting a taxi to our branch! Then
on the way home, it got worse, with some bloke telling
me about his 11 years in Dubai and his twins back home
that he never saw...... then (Not joking) he went on
to tell me that he was faithful to his wife almost all
the time, and descibed in gross detail the "little"
mistakes that he has made throughout his time here in
exchange for taxi rides.....


Whoa, I know too much information. Today I sampled yet
another Taxi ride from hell, mainly because he didn't
know where we were going, and wnated directions from
us! But enough.

Today I took in a sacred ritual for Dubai, the Friday
Brunch. Its a non working day for evryone, so the deal
is that you go to a hotel and take in thier Brunch.
Its an all you can eat and drink affair with unlimited
alcohol. I know ace! only for max 15 quid. So I've
just returned from the Al Murooj Hotel (Double Decker)
having sampled more than a few pints.... hence the
spelling and poor grammar.

Well one week completed.... and there really aren't
enough words in the english language to describe
Dubai, its a strange and unerving mix of styles and
cultures, with soooooo much to do and see. I'm loving
it, and i know that i'm still on holiday mode, but
this is a truly beautiful place to be.

I've settled into the whole work thing very easily.
NOt to be too unkind to the wonderful and welcoming
people i'm working with, they are a long way behind
the UK in banking expertise, but they have a real
passion and desire to improve, which is really
refreshing. I'm spending the first few weeks, looking
at processes and really getting to grips with what
they do. Its not very stimulating  but is absolutley
essential to making a good impact.

I still an't get over how humid it is. The heat is all
around, and it never gets cool, apart from when you
enter a building and the a/c really kicks in!

I'm hanging about with another new guy called Tom, he
moved in two days after me, so we're experiencing all
of this together. And we are constantly being
surprised by what Dubai has to offer. Drinks are
expensive, and the girls are sometimes undercover
prostitutes, but you live and learn.

I really want you all to come over and experience the
same thoughts and feelings that I have in these first
8 days, hopefully you will..

I get the hire car tomorrow, so I won't have to deal
with any crazy taxi drivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment