Welcome to suburbia

I've finally plucked up the courage to set-up an online blog. I'm going to endeavour to blog as often as possible to share my thoughts, to share some articles and news i find interesting, and also use it for my private reflections (you guys won't get to see that!). Also i hope people will read and comment on some of my posts.

The spur for deciding to set-up a blog has been my studies through the Open University. They encourage learning and reflection, and collaborating with others.

Monday 18 April 2011

Royal wedding rant

Firstly for the record I'm no Royalist but I'm not a Republican either. One of things that has struck me in recent weeks is how in the age of austerity the royal family seem to be in intent on raising our spirits by spending an extortionate amount of tax payer money on a wedding between the heir to the thrown and a mere commoner, as the British press has often referred to Kate Middleton.
I remember when I was at school as part of the debating club once a year we were asked to debate the merits and the demerits of the royal family in Britain. No firm position was ever agreed upon, as in most debates, however one thing is for certain the overriding feeling was that we had to keep them for tourism purposes. And for once despite its detractors this point seems to be bearing out, mainly because of the sheer amount of coverage that the American press has invested in with regards to the wedding. I'm sure the feeling is similar in a traditionally Republican France and also most of the Commonwealth countries. The attitude clearly being; "you can have them during the rest of the year but when it comes to a wedding they are a global phenomenon"
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment