Welcome to suburbia

I've finally plucked up the courage to set-up an online blog. I'm going to endeavour to blog as often as possible to share my thoughts, to share some articles and news i find interesting, and also use it for my private reflections (you guys won't get to see that!). Also i hope people will read and comment on some of my posts.

The spur for deciding to set-up a blog has been my studies through the Open University. They encourage learning and reflection, and collaborating with others.

Tuesday 21 June 2011

#endwarondrugs

I mention in my AV or Not to AV post about the debating club i was part of as an impressionable youth. The topics were very mainstream; Political change, Monarchic questions, fox hunting, ban on boxing, death penalty etc.

The one which always gets an airing is Drugs. A popular, hot topic among young people of any era. At the time i was anti-drugs, and largely still am. However i am a "personal choice" sort of anti-drugs person; in that i don't indulge, but if it floats yer boat....

http://tiny.cc/lzbjm

this excellent argument adds more statistics and detail to the very artful Economist billboards (one pro and one con, typically at train/tube stations). I have to admit that if we have a drug that alleviates suffering, that brings relief to those in pain we should do everything in our power to put it to use.

Also the sheer economics of it is staggering. The failed polices of countless decades, have heaped more ill advised investment on ill advised investment. Not sure blanket legalisation is the answer, but there is a middle ground that is suffocated by conservative interests and "family values".

Lets have a real debate about drugs policy, education and regulation

No comments:

Post a Comment