Welcome to suburbia

I've finally plucked up the courage to set-up an online blog. I'm going to endeavour to blog as often as possible to share my thoughts, to share some articles and news i find interesting, and also use it for my private reflections (you guys won't get to see that!). Also i hope people will read and comment on some of my posts.

The spur for deciding to set-up a blog has been my studies through the Open University. They encourage learning and reflection, and collaborating with others.

Friday 15 July 2011

forget supersize, do you wanna go family size?

So I got a few choice lessons in the culinary delights of Americana. Obviously we all now that the portions are bigger, this is common knowledge. But how much bigger can often be a bit of a shock.

I was in an Italian restaurant yesterday evening, we had invited the business team we were working with out to build some bridges. You can see a picture of the Pope presiding over our meal on my twitter feed. However this wasn’t the shocking thing. The waitress explained the dinning experience by making it clear that they only did two sizes- small and family size meal (including starters). The small size was suitable for 3-4 people, and the family size upwards of 6!

Another quirk of Americana food, is the salad. Whether you order a starter or a main, you’ll be asked if you want a salad with it. I mistakenly thought this was going to nestle gently onto my plate next to the swordfish steak I had ordered. Instead I got two equally sized plates, one with the steak the other piled high with what can only be described as a greek salad.

Finally cheese isn’t the same. Ordered cheesy nachos- got cheese whizz cheese- horrible awful, sloppy, slippy, sticky cheese whizz cheese- wont be making that mistake again.

Happy travelling

No comments:

Post a Comment