Welcome to suburbia

I've finally plucked up the courage to set-up an online blog. I'm going to endeavour to blog as often as possible to share my thoughts, to share some articles and news i find interesting, and also use it for my private reflections (you guys won't get to see that!). Also i hope people will read and comment on some of my posts.

The spur for deciding to set-up a blog has been my studies through the Open University. They encourage learning and reflection, and collaborating with others.

Thursday 4 August 2011

Food and baseball

Okay, so whenever people talk about the US it usually revolves around food.

Yes, the portions are huge and they offer to box everything you leave up (this is still quite an alien concept. Cold mash potato anyone?). We have, however, discovered a chain of fab sandwich bars that are throughout the city. This sandwich is a dinner in its self. You take two huge slices of bread (about an inch and half thick each). Add a filling of your choice plus lots of cheese. They then place a thick layer of coleslaw. It’s just a big sandwich I hear you cry! Then they place a layer (about an inch thick) of chips. Done 1000 calories in a sandwich. I may need to seats on the plane back to the UK!

Last night Luke took me to my first baseball game. I really enjoyed it until the last half hour (it lasted 2 hours 15 minutes). The experience was like nothing in the UK, any sports fan will tell you there is a different feel at football and rugby match, but this was so different again. It was an event, not just a sports match. From the singing of the national anthem, to the home players having music that they walked up to the bating plate to (I would love to known the reasoning behind some of the choices), then there was The Great Pierogi Race. Most people around us seemed not to care what has happening on the field but went for the atmosphere and the entertainment. Can you imagine Sting (Wasps mascot) firing hot dogs into the crowd at a London Wasps match? Thought not. Or having a song and dance at half time (7th inning stretch) at the Emirates, complete with sing-a-long words under the big screen? (Luke has video of this on You Tube) Nope. These are the norm when you watch baseball especially when you watch the Pittsburgh Pirates or
Bucs play. I also had my first hot dog and pretzel- will pass on them next time, but I can’t wait to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment