Welcome to suburbia

I've finally plucked up the courage to set-up an online blog. I'm going to endeavour to blog as often as possible to share my thoughts, to share some articles and news i find interesting, and also use it for my private reflections (you guys won't get to see that!). Also i hope people will read and comment on some of my posts.

The spur for deciding to set-up a blog has been my studies through the Open University. They encourage learning and reflection, and collaborating with others.

Thursday 4 August 2011

Weasy has landed and the tale of the eye drops.

I am the person who wakes up at 3 in the morning on Christmas day, through excitement. I am the person who counts in sleeps before a big event- much to everyone’s annoyance. This is my blog about my big adventure.

So after a seven-hour flight sitting next to a lovely lady, who decided to tell me how rubbish the UK was for at least 2 hours of the flight. (I had no choice but to listen as my laptop had no power left and the film choice was dire at best). I found myself in America at Boston Airport. Next border patrol, not a problem.
Collect baggage, again not a problem.

Up until now my trip hand gone like clockwork, including using British public transport to get to Heathrow (A small miracle in itself). However with 40 minutes to get my connection to Pittsburgh I found myself running about 2 miles (in flip flops with two suitcases) through the airport to check in my bags again, as the ‘connection belt’ was broken. Arrggghhh! I cleared check in with ease and then went to security control. Now I realise these people do a very tough and essential job, however searching my handbag over a 10ml bottle of comfort eye drops, was this really necessary? Especially when I had my laptop, iPhone and iPod all in my wheelie bag with their various cables? I dare say some people will say yes, but when they questioned me as to why this liquid was not in a proper clear bag and what it was used for (surely the label- summed up the later question?). I answered them truthfully and said I had used them on my transatlantic flight and forgot I had stuffed them in my handbag (while running two miles through the airport, so I would not lose them). By now I can hear all the business people around me huffing and puffing as they clearly are trying to catch flight, and the security control were not processing anyone else and then decided to scrutinize my handbag very slowly (lots of interesting stuff: purse and passport etc). I got a stern telling off and told to make sure all liquids were presented correctly for inspection. I apologised and tried in vain to get away as quick as possible and make my connection. I made my flight (the passenger who was sat next to me, needed her own seat and half of my seat for her bottom, thank goodness that the flight was only and hour long) and landed in Pittsburgh
and found Luke. Phew... let the fun begin.

PS Did I mention that certain Hollywood stars were meant to fly in the same day as me?

No comments:

Post a Comment